Tuesday, February 23, 2010

There’s no ”us and them...”



What a deeply sad clip

Now, strangely enough, I don’t have a problem with guns per se. There are plenty of good folks in the US and beyond who use them sensibly and responsibly in hunting and sports, BUT...and it’s a big but...the easy availability of guns to the criminal world has to be addressed.

I don’t know what the answer is, and I don’t know enough about the culture to really understand it , but it’s certainly troubling that someone like Shane Claiborne is given such short shrift here and it raises all kinds of questions about Empire, Kingdom and nominal Christianity.

I wonder how many of the folks responding to him so vehemently released how well known he is, and how far his influence reaches?

Click for more on Shane Claiborne and The Simple Way

1 comment:

darrin said...

I read something recently and it seems appropriate in the case of gun ownership and its (hardcore) supporters.

I quote from memory but it was along these lines.

Once something is a seen as an absolute (ie the aboslute right to bear arms) then it functions as a premise. So then everything has to exist in relation to either your opposition to or support of it. So gun suporters have to shout down Shane Claiborne. Absolutes are potent.

Well its some kind of theory and made sense to me.